Parenting a teenager brings into your life a whirl wind of things to deal with. You thought the early years where difficult, you will soon look at those years as the easy years. If you are thinking of having a child or are approaching the teen years with your child, here are the top 10 things you have to look forward to.
- Bad attitudes and constant complaining
- Mouthing off
- Mood Swings
- Refusal to complete things asked of them
- Lack of effort in anything they don’t want to be doing
- One word answers to questions asked of them
- Sarcastic remarks
- Leaving their stuff anywhere they feel like it
- No regard for how much things cost
- Feeling entitled to anything they want
What was the last thing that gave you a real, authentic, tearful, hearty belly laugh? Why was it so funny?
My son is going through a phase which he tries to catch me off guard, at the oddest moments in any place public or private and asks me a strange question that has to do with being a boy and his penis. When he asks me questions I usually answer them but the other day he asked me another question about his penis and I told him I didn’t know I have a vagina. He looked at me with horror because I said the word vagina and he ran off yelling “That is gross, don’t say the word vagina ever again”. I don’t think he will be asking me questions for a very long time.
Check out Fingerlike’s new Facebook page here
If one of your late ancestors were to come back from the dead and join you for dinner, what things about your family would this person find the most shocking?
I am sure my late ancestors wouldn’t approve of most things. Their generation was definitely the complete opposite of today’s generation.
If my late ancestors would join us for dinner they would be most shocked by me being a single mother. I am sure they would be repulsed by this and think one or if not all of the following.
- I must have been a irresponsible teenager.
- I am probably lazy and abuse welfare.
- My parents must have not raised me properly.
- I am irresponsible as my life style will put my child at a disadvantage.
Even though they would be judging me without even knowing the full story of my life they would be welcomed with open arms. Knowing the fact that I had my child at 21 years old, that I have never received welfare, my parents were excellent role models and my child has every advantage as a child in a two parent household. These truths will never change their mind about the situation and I would accept that.
Tell us about a time when you had to choose between two options, and you picked the unpopular choice.
Our day to day lives are filled with choices we have to make. Once we become adults those choices increase when we begin working.
What makes a choice unpopular? Making a choice is about personal preferences. For some people choices are not about showing individuality but instead by showing their values. A choice viewed as a popular choice or an unpopular choice is different for everyone it depends on their preference.
What are some of the major choices in my life that people may have felt them to be unpopular?
- At the age of 21 I became a mother. Two months after having my child I became a single mother. I am sure people who knew me felt that it was the wrong choice to have a child either at that age, the unstable relationship I was in or even the fact that it was clear I was far from financially stable.
- I went to college and later made the decision to not complete my college education and instead focus on my current career. Education is important and I know that but at the time I decided it wasn’t helping me forward my career and felt I wanted to focus on trying to advance it without a degree. There were people who felt this wasn’t the popular choice because they believed in having a college education and it was the way you move your career forward.
- When I became a single mother I decided to focus solely on my child and put my personal life on hold. Being a single parent I was going to ensure my child didn’t miss out on anything a two parent household would provide. I would make myself available at all times for my child and the only way I could do this in my opinion was to put my personal life on hold. I am sure people who knew me felt this was not a popular choice to make. Just because you have a child doesn’t mean you stop your life, single parent or not.
- Through the years of being single I decided that marriage wasn’t something I wanted to experience. As my life stayed uneventful everyone around me went in and out of relationships and eventually most married but I instead decided single life was more for me. There were people who felt this wasn’t the popular choice because I hadn’t been in a relationship for many years and they thought I couldn’t know that marriage wasn’t for me.
Over the course of my life I have made many choices that were seen as unpopular ones. No one person, not even yourself can say they make all popular choices.
What is my vision of Christmas?
My vision is not full of presents it is full of magnificent love.
During Christmas there are people with their hearts filled with loneliness and people who bear heavy burdens. Everyone is waiting behind an invisible door for something wonderful to open it.
This Christmas open a person’s door and give them the best gift you can give someone… Your time and love.
Take time out to say what’s in your heart and you will receive the greatest glow of happiness in return.
I wish all of you a magical Christmas filled with love shared with your family and friends.